Sunday, October 14, 2007

Day 8 - Shigatse

Rest Day

After 5 days and 500kms today was scheduled for a rest day. Shigatse is also the last civilisation between here and Kathmandu so I was keen to stock up on food, get laundry up to date and enjoy conversation with other English speakers. In the morning I came across an intense pool game on the street, between a couple of local kids and Tibetan Elvis (pictured above). Very entertaining exhibition of showmanship - though his pool was terrible.
Spent the morning at the Tascheng Monastery (pictured below), an impressive building that houses the Panchen Lama (the spiritual leader of Tibet now that the Dalai Lama is exiled). I walked about 10kms around the monastery and am now feeling incredibly lethargic. I’m hoping it’s not more serious than lethargy, but I think it’s in large part due to the cold which is particularly bad here.

I slept for a few hours in the afternoon and awoke to a snowstorm – a great day not to be on the bike. Just hoping this doesn’t continue tomorrow as I have a long day ahead, with the next real destination being Everest Base Camp in around four days.

No comments: