Sunday, October 14, 2007

Day 19 - Kathmandu

Rest Day

Woke up pretty tired but satisfied. I spent the day walking around the zoo that is Thamel, exploring dozens of alleys and rooftop bakeries. I was able sell my bike – for $500 – which is a pretty good price. In exchange Chimmy agreed to fit mountain bike tyres for the race and is happy for me to hand it over after the race. Some people report feeling sentimental about their bikes, but I have none of those feelings. My sister did used to call me the Tin Man though on account of having no heart.

Caught up with a group of cyclists for lunch, including a couple (John and Bekah) I had met at the Last Resort that I had promised my rear rack to (which I duly handed over).

John and Bekah had a strange experience at the top of the last mountain pass in Tibet. Their usual routine was for John to get to the top first, lock his panniers to something at the top and then ride down to get Bekah so that she could summit on a lighter bike. On this occasion they got to the top to find their luggage gone, and in a mad panic one headed in each direction to find the culprit. John managed to track down a guy on a tractor who had buried the panniers under other gear, and was pretty relieved given it had their sleeping bags and some of their warmest clothes.

No comments: